Sunday, October 19, 2008

The hegelian Dialectic

Graham made a really good point. he said something along the lines of artists decide they are artists, not by what they are, but by what they are not. It seems like artists have a cases of the hegelian dialectic. Hegel was a 19th century philospher from somewhere in Europe. He said that all progress of knowledge, takes place within a dialectic framework. a dialectic looks like this: I_I

There are two polar opposites. Both define themselves by negation. The one on the left is Barack Obama. He is not Barack Obama because he is black and charismatic. Rather he is Barack Obama because he is not old and a war mongrol. John McCain is on the right. he does not define himself as a man that is good at running the economy. rather, he is not a terrorist and not new to the game of politics.

Now that one has defined themselves, through the process of negation, they are in a better position to understand the "other". They can then both compromise, and move forward in a shared persepctive.

I
I_I
I_I_I
I_I_I_I

Eventually, everything will be negated, and the entire world will join hands in believing excactly the same thing.

Cool? No fucking way. This is a dumb way of thinking. Who wants to decide themselves by negation? And also, who wants to compromise? Let people be themselves and fight for their individuality till the death. Fuck you hegel. This video is what i feel i have just done to hegel:

No comments: